Saturday, August 6, 2011

I was "Sucker Punch"-ed on this one

Well,  that was quite unexpected.  I wanted to watch Sucker Punch because the style they used for the film intrigued me.  I didn't really know the entire plot, but had the basic idea of what it would be, and so I was interested in seeing it. I was really surprised by how the beginning and ending of the movie went, which doesn't really happen to me very often.

First of all, I thought the beginning of the movie was really dark and sad, which they used to set up the movie and get the main character into the insane asylum. If the movie continued in this vein, I might not have finished the movie; however the movie became mostly a fantasy inside of a fantasy after the first 10-15 minutes.  This is the part of the movie that I liked. From here, you had the kung-fu type action in  this very comic book film technique reminiscent to what you may have seen in the movie/trailers of movies like 300 and Sin City called super-imposition chroma key. I think this movie style can be really effective and cool with the right film. This was definitely a good choice for this movie. Also, the music they used was different but very interesting and fitting to the movie.

Throughout the movie I felt like I knew what was going to happen next but at the same time I wasn't exactly sure of what was going to happen at the end of the film. How did this fantasy world tie into reality? At the end of the movie they let you into the secret that the point of the movie wasn't exactly what they were leading you to believe it was. That was kinda cool, and left me with a little bit of a "Wow."  If you think back through the movie and narrative, similar to what you may have experienced in the 6th Sense, you start to see it. I really liked that part.

Admittedly, this movie is not for everyone because of its dark nature coupled with its fantasy action. If that doesn't intrigue you, don't watch this movie. I might watch this movie again later because I want to catch all the things I missed, but other than satisfying some lingering curiosity, I think once is enough for me on this one.



3 comments:

  1. The suckers here are the poor mugs who leave their dollars at the door. And for what? A seedy, desaturated, overstimulated simulation of a real movie. Schlock treatment for comatose gamers, and a bomb with a bright pink cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sucker punch was the F****** bomb yo! Why be hatin'?!!! Ya stupid cracka!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should have been a better movie.
    Haters will point to the bad acting.
    I personally think it could improve.
    To those who agree, please post.

    Heck, it was the worst ever.
    Everyone knows i'm being honest.
    An average person might disagree.
    Do you agree Josh?

    ReplyDelete